Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The devil is in the details...

I am still trying to make sense in a blizzard of need/information. So I am going to get my thoughts organized (or attempt to do so)...





Money is the waiting game right now. I am totally fine with this and know the reasoning behind it. But this pause is not a bad thing. I have a LOT of stuff I can do and I am trying to organize my thoughts and activities going forward so I am best using my time. That way when I the money is there (probably int he next month or so), I will be as prepared as possible.





The first thing I need to do is deal with the lease. The broker said he would get back to me yesterday or today. So if I don't hear from him this morning I will send a gentle reminder. I want to just email him about it, but I think a phone call in this case will be more effective (bleh I hate the phone).





The second thing I need to do is talk to the planning department and see if what I have now is ok to get started on the kitchen part of the remodel. Then go get a permit from the bulding department, which should be about $200.





So the costs to take the next step are:



  • $1700 for the deposit on the Health Department review

  • $500 for my certification from the Health Department

  • $300 for my beer and wine license

  • $200 for my beer and wine resale license
  • $200 for the Buidling permit


I can't get my business license until the HD, Planning, Building, Fire all sign off on my stuff.



I have the specs for the sinks (I still need to get faucet specs) and tables etc. But not for the equipment. I started to go look around, but since I will be getting used equipment and the inventory varies and changes, it is kind of a waste of time to go gather what I think I MIGHT use. I am hoping the health department will be ok with what I have now and then when they come in to license the kitchen, they can check the rest of the equipment. The thing is, the process is paid on deposit/retainer, so I want to do it int he most efficient manner possible.



Other things I can do: Go start researching wines! I plan to buy four cases of each wine (two whites and two reds). All will small local producer wines, so I have to kind of ferret those out as well (with help, of course).



Also, I will be teacher's assistant for Chef Paul this semester in Advanced Cuisine. This means I should be able to do alot of my smoking for the restaurant at school. I like their smoker a lot AND it is a commerically licensed kitchen.



I have started to form a gran plan for my eventual remodel of the restaurant. Gutting the back bathroom and making that a storage room and office, and then adding an ADA bathroom in the front, plus fixing the door so it is ADA compliant and adding a hood and range, plus oven. I talked to Dave about it yesterday and he thinks it will all cost about 30k. So I have to save my pennies!





I just can't wait until people get to try my stuff! I think you have to have a bit of braggadocio to be a chef and I try to have a less obnoxious bit, but I am really proud of my meat.

Which reminds me! I need to check on my curing bresaola and Capicolla! Plus put that brisket in brine for more pastrami! I am going to play with the texture this time by pressing etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment