Thursday, July 14, 2011

Salumi Tasting at Savour in St Helena


Stein and I drug Galen into Napa today to do a Salumi tasting at Savour in St Helena. It was a lot of fun! It is a co-op tasting room for 7 micro-wineries and it is run by Dejan Nikitovic and Meghan Farley. We got to try some KILLER wines in conjunction with our salumis and... it was just a lovely space and Dejan and Meghan were really personable and knowledgeable.

They are looking to serve small hand crafted charcuterie with wines that are also handcrafted and from small wineries. I think it is a genius concept. Some of the most exceptional wines in Napa are not generally available to the public because the vintners are too small to have the big flashy marketing machine (nor would they likely be able to provide wine in the quantities needed by Costco) enjoyed by the large Wineries. I think the hard core foodies and oenophiles really WANT those hand crafted one of a kind products to be available to them in a beautiful setting like the one Savour has created.

I think they really liked the products and I am pretty excited to be given an opportunity to be a part of something so timely and... well cool!

It was fun to drink fantastic wines and hang out and do a brain dump on salumi. They seemed genuinely interested in all of the historical coolness of the Garde Manger kitchen; enough to ask me if I would be interested in coming to do a tasting/teaching demonstration with the wines. How cool is that!?

Some days... I really REALLY love my job.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I'm glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, it was our pleasure to have you up here in Napa. We loved your Salumi and can't wait to get some, so we can share it with our guest.

    Dejan
    Savour St Helena

    ReplyDelete