Friday, July 15, 2011

No one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in...

Feel the rain on your face ~ Natasha Beddingfield, Unwritten

Today is kind of a day of rest... KIND of.

Stein and I took the measurements of the space and got the measurements of the cold storage units from our fantastic equipment purveyor (Danny). So I've been hanging out this morning playing tetris on paper with the spaces, which are simply going to be really tight.

I am worried. This is a constant state of being for me currently. I am worried the sink is not big enough to wash all of our larger equipment. I am worried about having the money to buy the last of the equipment we need. I am worried they put the hand sink in the front on the wrong side of the wall and now I may have to build a barrier between the walkway and the behind the counter area. I am worried about having a sneeze guard for the sandwich prep station. I am worried about how I am going to get an ice maker and a standing mixer. I am worried about how we are going to work out the smoking. I am worried about where and how we are going to clean and degrease the stove. I am worried about Brion's back for next weekend when we are supposed to be moving stuff into the space. I am worried that David won't remember I need another plug/outlet on the wall the left. I am worried I won't find an espresso grinder for a decent price.

I am just so very very worried.

But, dappled like sunshine in the forest, rays of light keep shining through. We are getting so much interest for the salumi that I may need to stop at my current number of wholesale clients (at least until we see how production goes in the new kitchen). I am so proud of the clients and potential clients we have currently; really dynamic and serving the kinds of foods and wines that are SO exciting. That part of this process has been such a fun journey. Meeting people who are similarly passionate about what they do; true believers and ardent advocates for real hand crafted food. I am deeply grateful for the California food and wine culture that encourages craftspeople to push the envelope whole-hog (pun intended).

This past summer has been busy busy with catering, but I am finding that I am still largely catering for friends or friends of friends. Stein and I plan to hit a few of the wedding conventions this fall to see if we can change that a bit. There is one on Sept 18 on Main St in Martinez which we won't have top pay to attend, so we will likely start with that and see how that goes.

I am really getting excited about the prospect of opening too. We have been passing the new hamburger place on our way back and forth from the restaurant and it seems pretty hopping. It is hard to imagine how people will receive us. So far the people in Downtown Martinez have been really awesome.

When we did the Peddler's Fair, the local business people were really curious about us. We had a young couple from the bank come by and introduce themselves, plus several of the artists that participate in the Co-op at the end of the street, plus others. They really seemed to enjoy the food and sought us out specifically to sample our products. I will be so glad to be in my own kitchen! But there is still so much to do before that will be a reality. Bleh... back to worrying lol

No comments:

Post a Comment