Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Up early... not sleeping very well

Yesterday was a sausage making day. Today we bring in the sausages we've been showcasing to T-rex for them to see the whole plate together. The sausages they liked were the Andouille, Orange Fennel (pork) and Bourbon Apple (chicken and pork). I am frustrated because the first batch of orange fennel were too salty so we added pork and then didn't mix it up enough to achieve the bind, so they were grainy. Which meant I had to start all over again last night.

Also, I ordered the slimmer casings from Sausage Makers and they did not come in in time, so I made the 3 ounce portions in the larger casings but they are still not going to be what they will likely have on the plate if we decide to case in the 1 inch (diameter).

Stein was funny yesterday, he was nervous to talk to me about the financial disappointment of the food booth and make the suggestion that we not continue to explore that avenue but I had already come to the same conclusion. I just can't afford to gamble with resources we will definitely need to open the business in a month or so.

I did Tarot which of course Galen and Stein were highly skeptical, but it was soothing to me and it does help me to gather my thoughts. Stein was amused because the #2 position card (which represents the problem or the issue you have to work thru) was the Hermit, which is kind of a card of "Stop fucking around and focus on the prize". It really is time to refocus. I think I was looking for stuff to do while we waited for resolution on the facility but now that things are rolling, I need to get organized about getting equipment, product testing (specials for the opening) and organizing the weddings and party activities for the month of June.

I am glad we got the food prep tent, and many of the other items. I could really use some portable cambro storage systems for hotel pans for upcoming weddings. These are not very expensive so should not be too big a deal to get a couple of them.

Things I still need are:

Smoker
Refrigerator
Freezer
Dedicated sausage fridge
Sandwich prep station
Sous Vide set up
forks/spoons/knives
coffee mugs
espresso maker


Of those things these things are mandatory
Fridge
Freezer
Sausage Fridge
forks spoons knives


I can lease the espresso maker and use the smoker at school and the Sous Vide set up can wait.

Today we are hitting the farmer's market for product to pickle and preserve for the sandwiches and the biegnet. As soon as the casings come in we will also be making more Finocchiona. I will try to get to the site soon to take some pictures of things as they happen. I may even have an opening date in the next few weeks! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment