Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lots of movement, lots of busy...

Stein and I are prepping for the weekend Peddler's Faire and it's been SO busy. Today we prepped the romesco, all of the creamy dressings (Blue Cheese, Ceasar, Ranch), smoked all of the meats and did the big Costco run. Tomorrow we go to the rental kitchen and prep out everything else and package all fo the food in disposable containers. I have a brutal headache.

I have the $600 for the kitchen rental, the copy of the insurance with Kitchen by the Hour as additionally insured, all of the produce and meats etc. We will need more large plastic containers and the disposable cutlery. I am also going to need a 50 cup coffee percolator. My brain is fried.

I am terrified that this whole thing is going to be a colossal waste of money I could be using for the restaurant. I called Trisha at Main St Martinez to see how many food vendors there were and there are only 3-4. We are all supposed to be in a bank parking lot that may or may not be in the path of foot traffic.

But either way, I should be able to market my product, get some advance buzz for our food before opening, talk to people about what we are and what we do etc. And nothing I bought (other than the food, which is perishable) can't be used for other purposes, especially catering.

Also, JeffTaylor called yesterday and was so nice, I almost forgive him for being such a pain so far. It sounds like Dave should be able to get a permit tomorrow and start my build out next week. I know I am probably jinxing myself, but I could have a kitchen in like 4-6 weeks. Weird huh?

I am really excited about the food we are making for the fair. It is simple food, but really well done, with really good ingredients and most things from scratch. The turkey, pastrami and bacon are house smoked and cured, the hummus from scratch and my favorite North African recipe. I just hope people like it. I have to try and remember to put the sumac on top of the hummus and maybe a little olive oil. (Can you tell my brain is fried?) I just want things to be perfect, even if I know that is not really realistic.

I will try to remember to take pictures of the kitchen tomorrow and the fair on Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment