Friday, May 27, 2011

Time to pull it together!

I've been feeling very out of sorts since the Peddler's Fair. It was such a waste of resources in that we spent a good amount of capital to get the stuff needed, and then didn't make nearly enough to justify the expenses. Now I need to figure out a way to build up more capital and soon.

Dave took Dino over to the space yesterday and they seem to think it will not take long to do the build out, maybe 3-4 weeks. Then we just need to manage getting our final permits (Health and Fire) and then... well we will be able to open any time after that pending our prep time. I guess after the long journey and being so involved in the minutia of it all... it seems impossible that it could be only a month or two more.

We still need our refrigerators, plus I need to pay for the under counter keg set up and chairs and ton of other stuff. I feel like I don't even know where to start on the next phase. Stein and I put in some Finocciona (in big and smaller casings) and we also made a big batch of pickles. I put in a giant Bresaola today with the California Wagyu. It was finally fully cured and now it just needs to hang to dry. I want to do an opening special of a salad with thinly sliced Bresaola, arugula, thinly sliced red onion, capers, parmesan and a light vinaigrette. I also need Bresaola for the Molpus Wedding in Sept.

I know I need to sit down and figure out where all the loose ends are and set up a schedule to deal with them. I still need to create a vendor account with Spikes for produce. I am going to use Semifreddis to start, but we can't travel to get bread forever, so that will have to eventually be dealt with. I know I am just feeling panicky because I need to switch gears from jumping thru governmental hoops to get the facility ready to go to... well what do I need to actually open!? I will feel so much better when I get my shit together and have a more solid plan.

I went out to Leopold's in San Francisco last night with Jeremy Fletcher (the guy who taught me how to make bacon) and Andrew Tye-Green. It was so amazing to eat a great sampling of German style charcuterie. I feel like I have been up to my chin in Italian style food for so long... that a lot of stuff is tasting brand new to me.

Brion got beer in a boot!

I also have been feeling a bit at loose ends. Now that things should progress finally... I am having a hard time switching gears. I think it was such a shock when the Building Department was so difficult that for my own sanity I made the mental adjustment that it was going to take a looong time and would try to fill my days with busy work.

Now, I desperately need to switch gears back to food, my menu, all the prep of the slow food plus all of the many catering events I have going on this summer. My original menu was focused on early Spring foods, now I need to revamp for a mid summer menu. I am slightly nervous that I don't think I've really fully explained all of the stuff I need to David. Especially shelving and storage. I think I will go take a bath and try to start forming all of the various lists. I don't know why I feel so daunted by it all... but I know I will feel better once I get my thoughts more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment