Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Still frazzled from yesterday, but recovering...

Today was insane. I had three tastings, all of completely different products, in different cities. Plus we ran into the city to check out a potential vacuum sealer, which I desperately need.

I got up and Stein and I went to the farmer's market to find a bread vendor we'd seen last Thursday. He wasn't there but we had fun anyway. Today Stein's wife Alicia came with us on all of our errands, which was awesome (I am not sure what it is, but she has a very relaxing effect one me). We tossed her into a Compass Star T-shirt and drug her all over.

Trisha (from the Main St Martinez property/event management group) texted and said that Huge, the exec chef from Creek Monkey was interested in my charcuterie, so I texted her and asked if we could meet up with him at noon with a full charc tasting? So we ran home, sliced some meats, and ran into Martinez for the tasting. God it was a gorgeous day. The large rambling old house they are building into their brewery is full of charm and happy ghosts. The owner (and master brewer) Jim took us for a tour. I just loved the bones of the place and we chatted about our passions (beer and pig!). It was awesome to recognize a fellow freak, even if we freak about different things.

Huge (the Exec Chef) showed up and we talked and talked about meat. He is super interested in collaborating on some projects (like bring in a whole pig and bust that bad boy up and make some killer food). The funniest moment was when Jim (who is really cute) kind of did that thing where your eyes roll back in your head while he thought about this awesome beer that would go so perfectly with my cured meats. I live for those moments!

Then we dashed out to meet up at T-rex with the Sous there, Ryan. I happen to kind of love Ryan. Passionate, smart, personable and (the word doesn't really do him justice) capable. We took in four fresh sausages: Orange/Fennel (pork), French fin spice (Seafood), Andouille (pork) and the Compass Dog (all beef). My favorite moment of that was the kitchen manager trying the fennel orange sausage and the look on his face when he said, "That was the one I didn't think I would like... and it is my favorite!"

I got to hang out with Craig as well, who I adore and he got to try my stuff as well. I am catering his wife's birthday party in July. I can't wait to really pull out the stops for a guy who has bent over backwards to help me.

Then we hit the city to check out a vacuum sealer (that was not really a vacuum sealer, it was a shrink wrapper). Then back home and my final tasting of the day...

For a bridal couple getting married in September. I made them several items off their menu and we got to hang out an chat, which was also super awesome. When you can show a hostess/bride that you are excited to collaborate and make sure her guests are well fed, it can have a very relaxing effect.

ALSO today: found a kitchen! It is in Hayward but I can store stuff and it has a buffalo chopper so I don't have to drag mine around, which is super heavy. YAY! Also I think David has decided to just build out the kitchen so we can get started and let Stan work around us while he gets the ADA and earthquake retrofitting done. Thank God for that as well.

I wish I wasn't PMSing... I still feel a bit anxious instead of euphoric. GAH! Hormones! But even in spite of that; today was just flat out awesome. I feel like such a kid when people like my product. And I love LOVE talking to chefs/brewers who are as passionate as I am about what they do... there is nothing quite like it. We are the dreamers of dreams. We are the alchemists making magic. As scary as my life is right now, I can DO this. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment