Monday, April 11, 2011

I always loved Mr Toad's Wild Ride...

So Friday I finally got off my butt and visited my BFF.. (Very nice guy I found selling stuff on Craigslist who calls himself my BFF in emails) So I show up in downtown San Mateo and park in front of this bohemouth Chinese restaurant and "nightclub" that is two stories high. I walk in to a restaurant that looks like it is just waiting to open for the day, tables set, water glasses out, silverware on the table. A tall stately Asian man meets me at the door and we exchange pleasantries. I ask when they plan to open and he says in a year. A year!?!? Apparently there is some fire code issue they have to resolve, but this is like his 20th restaurant and he knew that going in. He apparently has like... two tons of restaurant equipment and we walked thru while he grabbed stuff and showed it in boxes for me. Gorgeous little appertif glasses (fabulous for little amuse bouches), wine glasses, menu covers, small lexans, a coffee brewer, coffee grinder... just a ton of stuff. Gorgeous long white plates (perfect for charcuterie). So then we go upstairs and it was like... this weird... kind of lost den of iniquity. Dark chinese laquer furniture and antique apothocary chests mixed with a bottle service type club atmosphere. Soft footstools sourroundeed by booth type seating (like a Vegas dance club) and off shoots of private rooms. My BFF says, "This was a brothel. The ladies of the night met their customers in these rooms"... the look of grossed outedness of this poor guy was highly funny! He was NOT amused about this whole whore house aspect of the place's past. Anyway, this place was packed to the gills with all kinds of good stuff. I grabbed a bunch of it... nuff said. Then Bri and Galen and I went to this brewery for lunch and I got a call from Michael Brown from Weaver coffee and we are going to go down and check out the roasting facility! FUN FUN! Today I went down to the ABC to try and change my mailing address, they are sending stuff to the facility, which is a huge pain. Everything is time sensitive and has to be done within like 7 days, so the fact that it takes two-3 weeks to get to me... sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment