Friday, April 1, 2011

The good, the bad and the terrifying...

So YAY! Got my plans stamped from the HD today. Then called the Building Dept to talk to them about getting my permits and of course, things went all to shit. So the guy I spoke to basically said he thought I woudl have to make the front entrance ADA compliant before I opened. This is the first person to tell me this so far and I am super stresed about it because it is a historical building and any changes to the facade have to go thru architectural review etc and that will totally f*uck up my schedule. I am meeting him at 3:00 to "see what we can work out" but I SWEAR... can't anything just be simple? I mean for the love of Pete, it's a 720 sq ft space and I am just changing the bathroom and adding a hood! Why does California HATE business? WHY?! I know I am freaking out right now, and I hate it that I am feeling very worn down by the endless grind of impossible minutia that ceaselessly comes my way during this process. You would think I am making hydrogen bombs or something... not trying to open a little tiny deli. I know I need to be thicker skinned about the whole process, but it just feels so rediculously convoluted.

1 comment:

  1. Two very important phrases: "pre-existing non-conforming" and "Historical Building Code".

    I had to deal with quite a number of boobish attempts to make me 'fix' something that didn't need fixing while working on my house restoration... at one point they tried to make me rip out my back stairs on the grounds that the risers were too high and the treads too narrow.

    What are they trying to make you change? Door width?

    ReplyDelete