Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It costs WHAT?!



So got the hood estimate back at about 18k. Dave thinks he can find it cheaper, so that is on hold until I know for sure. I ordered a small run of my opening menu and had a great chat with Stein yesterday about how we want the menu to flow. The place is too small to (and has too little storage) to change out the specials every day so we will keep them on the menu for at least a week at a time. They will go in as a paper inset to the static menu which will look something like this to start
We will have a changing weekly Salad, Pasta, Salumi (on the Ploughman's lunch) and Soups (likely three of them so we can do a soup trio of 2 ounces of each soup). The first ones will be:
Special Pasta: Deep fried butternut squash gnocchi with guanciale and brown butter
Special Salad: Cold smoked duck with deep friend duck egg on bitter greens with honeyed parsnips
Soups: Corn Chowder, Split Pea and Lemon Cream, and Chichi Bean and Red Pepper
I also ordered a "large window decal" that says, "THE COMPASS STAR! Coming Soon! May 2011"
So now I just have to hop we can actually get open in that time frame (deep sigh).
I need to talk to Brion about having his friend do the jerseys. That will take some lead time as well. I have to get over feeling like if I spend money on anything I am going to jinx myself. I will feel better when I've submitted to the Health Dept and gotten some positive feedback. It just still feels like... so up and down.

2 comments:

  1. A "real foods" cafe opened up near my office. I can say that I was very disappointed that I had WEEKS of walking past the storefront before they bothered to post a menu in the window. So I say: post a menu in the window sooner rather than later. This is the first place where your walking traffic will notice you.. and think that they maybe want to stop by to try you when you open.

    Second thing of mention: my favorite lunchtime curry place is an Indian restaurant across the street (downdown SF) They have a standing menu that lists everything they normally offer and they also have a weekly rotating specials menu know as "curry in a hurry" with $4-$6 lunch specials. That menu is printed out on a single page of med/heavy card stock with descriptions of each special. The weekly menus don't normally leave their restaurant.

    They also post their menu and lunch specials on their website: http://mehfilindian.com/LunchMenuDineIn.htm

    LMK if you want a photo of an example weekly menu (though really, it's very close to the look of the web page I linked).

    Just another idea.

    Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bigger images of the menu would be FANTASTIC! SOOOOOO EXCITING!

    ReplyDelete