Thursday, February 17, 2011

ARGH! (Into each dream a bit of rain must fall)

So my primary funding source is also my contractor, and it is time to go get some of the equipment so we can have all the info needed to plan space etc. and submit to the Health Department. He wants me to find everything at one source so he can write one check. I TOTALLY understand why he would want to do that but...

I checked Tri-mark (SF) and East Bay Restaurant Supply (Oakland) and they are SO expensive. I can get the same open front merchandiser on Craigslist for $600 that Tri-mark has (used) for $2300.00 and that is pretty much the price difference for everything. But Craigslist, it will be really hard to find everything in one place. I might get lucky and a deli goes out of business and is selling everything for a set price... but then I will have to look up spec sheets for everything online, IF they exist.

I just need to actually go out and go to the places and see what is avialable... but Sam has been sick and I can't be dragging him around in the rain.

I am just worried that my cost projections are going to be WAY off (they are based on craigslist prices) and we are already doing $10k worth of work more than I'd planned with adding the hood and range.

And I talked to Stan this morning and I think he was really surprised that the process is so long. Health Department alone is a HUGE packet of information, much of which is coming from sub contractors (plumbing, building, hood/range etc) and then once I finally submit it, the estimated processing time is 20 days. 20 days before I can go apply for a building permit, business permit or anything else. And I can't submit to the Health Department until I have the specs for my steam table, kegerator, range, fryer, smoker, sandwich prep table, sinks, and shelving.

Here comes Stress-Time #2 (after Stress Time #1: Negotiating the Lease)... I better put on my Chef-Patronne Toque and git 'er done!

I am going to check Stockton and the place Roric suggested for equipment. I think are not in as high rent areas and their prices may very well reflect that. I am also going to keep an eye out for small cafe's going out of business that might be able to sell me a group of items for cheap.

1 comment:

  1. Just gotta look for the silver linings. On the plus side, items from a reputable dealer should have some kind of warranty/service period instead of the as-is status from craigslist.

    ReplyDelete