Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Productive Girl starts moving that mountain, one rock at a time...

So yesterday I went to the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) in Oakland to start the process for my Beer/Win License. This was kind of a cool adventure! Parking is kind of a pain so I parked in a garage down the road and hiked up to the buidling (1515 Clay Street). When you go in, they have security a little bit like airport security... you have to go thru a metal detactor etc. My stop was on the 22nd floor.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the display case in the ABC office! It was full of bongs, pop pipes, things people hide drugs in... like all this crazy drug paraphanalia! It is kind of funny to be hanging out in this room with these other business owners with a 12 foot case full of drugs and drug paraphanalia right behind you!

So it was my turn and I get up to the desk and the process is pretty intimidating. A huge packet of forms to fill out and I absolutely have to go down to Sac and check on what is going on with my LLC since I've heard nothing since I filed a month ago and I am going to need proof that I have one before I can fill out the paperwork and submit it. Also they ask a lot of questions that I really am not about the answer...

Such as, they need to know if anyone is living within 100 feet and if there is a school within 600 feet. It is all retail, but like many old buildings with a second story, I am not sure if anyone lives on the top floor of any of the buildings? Also there is a vocational school for adults around the corner... but does that count? They are all adults? I think it is like a dental technician school or something like that? I also had to call the planning dept and make sure they allowed places to sell beer/wine in the area and get the name and number of someone at the planning dept who could verify this (Which I did today... she had this spectacular name too!).

Then I headed over to T-Rex in Berkeley to meet up with a potential investor for beers and good times. He was so awesome; he really sweetly conveyed how much faith he had in my abilities and talent and passion... I took down a small sampling of my meats for the guys to try and he called the Sous Chef from T-Rex over to try some as well (the bar tender snacked too). I always try to make sure I have a sampling with me when I meet up with people about the business. This has been really effective in converting people into true believers for my cause. It was fun to watch a really talented Sous like Ryan do the eyes rolling back in the head thing. You can always tell a fellow freaky meat geek right away... they know how hard it is to get texture/consistency/flavor like that and they really appreciate it. WHICH, of course, made me grin from ear to ear.

My friend Wendy met us over there and we lazed around on a gorgeous sunny Bay Area day in T-rex light bright modern space (which smells like smoked pork) and got a bit of a buzz on and chatted and talked about the world and business and investing and my business plan (which I think I actually left sitting in the restaurant... sigh).

Then Wendy and I left and went to see The King's Speech with Brion (AWESOME movie).

Today I attempted to organize the entire Health Department packet into a readable document. I put together a cover page, itemized everything, put them all into a three ring folder with my business card, the HD Plan checklist (carefully itemized and numbered with each exhibit clearly labeled and referenced on the cover page). Since I was out of ink on my printer, I had to go get more ink, which took FOREVER. But I think it is all ready to go finally! I will take it in tomorrow morning and check to see...

Then I need to go into Sacramento and see if I can't get the LLC papers processed a little quicker.

Things are starting to move along and I am grateful for it! I need to get back to the South Bay this week so I can pay Joycie back as well for the lease deposit.

I am still riding high on how much people enjoyed the meats yesterday... I miss being in a kitchen so much and having that kind of interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment