Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Equipment, Lunch and Rainy Days



Today I met Joycie for lunch (and also so I could pay her back for the money she loaned me to pay my lease). We met at a place called Fritz in the Mission District of San Francisco. Our lunch: Belgian Waffle with caramalized pears, almonds, whipped cream and nutella. Regular and sweet potato fries with three different dipping sauces (chipotle remulade, tamarind spice and tomato saffron truffle), a pitcher of beer (Stella Artois) and Belgian mussels with fennel and garlic beer broth.

They had this cozy sitting area with pillows and low tables and we chatted and admired the art and I realized that I feel a like I have come a long way.


I have been having dreams about elevators. Over and over dreams of elevators in impossibly tall narrow buildings. I get in at the ground floor and go up very quickly but once I am at the top I can feel the building swaying and I stop to marvel at the engineering that makes it possible for these impossibly tall buildings to sway without crumbling to dust.


On the drive to school I told my daughter about these dreams and she said, "Oh mom, that makes total sense! When Aunt Mary and I were in Egypt she told me alot about dreams and when you dream of an elevator it means you are trying to improve your life i.e. you are trying to move up in the world, Literally. The reason your building is so shaky is because you know you are trying to build your business, but you just don't know how exactly it will all work and be stable when you get there."



My baby is so smart!


So while I was visiting with Joycie today, there was an elaborate plan to get my steam table delivered to me. I wrote Mary a check for $600, she went to B of A to cash it, then John was at the house to wait for it and get the receipt when the guy dropped it off.


The guy is kind of cracking me up! When I told him I was opening a new restaurant he told me "I am your new BFF!" as he has a bunch of small wares etc. He left a dozen each spoons, knives and forks, plus some plates and... the strangest hand washing sink I've ever seen! I mean, what is that hole for? And the basin is like 6 inches by 12 inches!

Anyway, Stein and I will go over on Thursday and check out what he has and maybe get more plates and smallwares. I need things like coffeee mugs etc. Money is SO tight right now. Today Joycie extended an offer to loan me money in the future... it was SO tempting to be like... I know I just paid you back, BUT... at the same time, I don't want to abuse my friendships either. My mom has offered to help (and she already bought some of the plates), so maybe I will take her up on that for the Thursday smallwares shopping? My primary investor is hoping to give me a lump sum soon to go buy equipment. I still need to figure out a place to store everything. Out in the rain is probably not a great option and it makes me so stressed that I am on such a budget and I might be harming my precious purchases by leaving them out (covered, of course, but still) in the elements.

That said... I spoke to my contractor today and they are getting started on some things next week and doing what they can, the Health Department should get back to me by the 23 of March with whatever their list of additional requirements are. I figure it will take me one week or so to get those things, then hear back from them. After that I will submit to the building department, sewer and fire, which I am guessing will take abut a week, then a 3 week build out puts me at about April 27 (my birthday!), then give another week delay for inspections by the various departments is May 4th, then another 2-3 weeks for food and kitchen prep... means a late May, Early June opening POSSIBLY. There are still many things that can go wrong, but there are also places where I can get lucky and things will go faster than planned.

One thing I am worried about... I don't have all the specs for incoming equipment because we are buying a lot of it used and I don't really have a place to store it while we remodel that place. I am not sure if the HD will go for that?

Also I am kind of excited that I was asked to help teach the sausage making section of the Garde Manger class at Diablo Valley College!

Anyway, busy day but really nice. I am still a little depressed that Cosentino didn't pick me to stage for the Nose to Tail Dinner. I know he gets a lot of applications, but . and I read the applications he did select. What a crock of sentimental rubbish! (Not that I am bitter or anything!)


No comments:

Post a Comment