Monday, June 6, 2011

Bits and Peices

I think the most disconcerting thing about opening a restaurant is how chaotic it all is. My horoscope said today that I would have to inspire myself; that my inspirators were tired.

I had an interview with the Martinez Record today. One of their front of the house people looks exactly like Winona Rider! And she was so curious about all the stuff we are doing; it was a lot of fun to just hang out and talk. Then I went back to talk to my interviewer, Greta. She lives in Berkeley with her SO (who is a big foodie) and I found as I talked about sausage and history and food that I got more and more excited and animated. I'd met up on the street with Jim (Blier, owner) and Huge (exec chef) from Creek Monkey. We hung out on the street talking and it just felt good to talk to other people who are doing the same things I am.

They think they may be open in about 3 weeks. I think I may be open (knock on wood) in 4-6. It is such a journey and labor of love... it seems miraculous to have come so far. They are getting an elevator put in to comply with ADA laws... the space is three stories, like a grand old pink Victorian home on a little creek, just on the other side of the Amtrak lines and the grand park leading into the Marina.

My big question mark now is... how and when will my landlord fix the ADA issue with the front entrance. I cannot open until he does, so the space is not really viable until it's done. I know it is a big priority for them and they've hired an engineer to draw up plans for them... but he seems like a huge flake. It took him almost a month to hand draw in a few things on the visio *I* generated and it's been 6 weeks and still no actual drawings from him. The steel structure they need to embedded into the facade needs to be designed to EXACT specs in Santa Clara, then it needs to be partially installed, then the moorings need to be measured exactly so the rest of it can be made, then installed. It is a pretty complicated process and we are already well into the Kitchen and bathroom remodel.

My greatest concern right now is there doesn't seem to be a plan in place for those corrections. I can see the end of the tunnel for my part of construction and preparation... but I don't think there is a plan for the complicated engineering plan and concrete work etc that will be needed for my landlords part of the build out. I am trying to be mentally prepared for some delay, but it will honestly be pretty heartbreaking for me... well on a level that I will just deal with it because there isn't much else I CAN do.

It was really fun to talk about how far we've come; all of the fantastic local producers we've discovered, all of the great people we've met who are so encouraging about the food... and I look around at the changes happening to the space and I think... is it ok for me to trust this thing is happening? That this burning desire that is difficult to comprehend unless it's a part of your very blood might be consummated? It feels like no human being should be given their deepest wishes, we just are not worthy of that kind of largess from a loving and benevolent universe.

But it DOES happen. People do strike it rich, and become famous and marry the prom queen and buy the house they've always wanted. And I am not even doing it for the money! I am doing it for love.

I am worried that my landlord seems anxious and unhappy about his level of control over the situation. OF course it is his building and he has every right to have that kind of control... I am not sure how to communicate better and I am very anxious about the dynamic as it is. Hopefully after the stress of remodeling is done, thing will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment