Monday, September 26, 2011

Chaos and all the fun to be had therin...

It's been a crazy week. I made 80 # of sausage for my favorite client to bring to the Folsom Street Fair (which is a kind of... fetish celebration in San Francisco). Plus 20# of brats for Creek Monkey, plus a wedding and a food booth at the Italian Street Painting Festival in downtown Martinez. Whew.

The street painting festival booth was a loss. We have tried the food booth thing twice now and both times we've lost money. I know the property management group really wants us to participate, but we can't afford to lose money on anything right now. I think people really don't want to eat cold food at these festivals so we will try the hot sausages at the craft brewing festival and if that doesn't work, I think we are giving up on the food both thing all together.

The wedding food came out really well and I was really happy with it, but my meat vendor once again screwed up the order for the pig. We ordered a 100# pig and got an 80# pig. I think I probably need to find an alternative meat vendor who can get the pig order right.

The Italian Street Painting booth thingie... well it rained the second day and was cold the first, so I told Galen to just give away the rest of the sandwiches and salads for free Sunday when it started raining in earnest and come home. It was a good marketing opportunity so it wasn't a total wash (no pun intended).

This week we are waiting again. I still don't think the engineer has a plan to cover the wood beams with the sheet rock and we really can't clean until he does (sheet rock is a really messy process).  I feel bad for Stan; yesterday I noticed the roof was leaking where the retrofit was done. He's had such a hard time getting them to finish the work. They seemed like a really shady outfit and now there is a leak in the roof too. You can't believe how pretty it is looking in spite of all the troubles.

This week is waiting week. We got the air flow test done on the ventilation system, and we are waiting on the paperwork. We are waiting to fix a small glitch in the fire suppression system. We are waiting for the floors to go in. We are waiting for the sheet rock to be put on the beams. We are waiting to pick up the new prep sink so we can install it. Just a whole bunch of waiting. I feel really bad that Galen has now quit his job and I have no work and can't afford to pay him for this next week. Thankfully he can pick up a few shifts at his old job.

The thing that sucks even more is I have no idea when all this stuff will be done so we can move forward. They plan to put in the wood look floors this weekend. But I am not sure how much longer Stan will have to fight with the engineer/retrofit people before we will get the beams sheet rocked. We can't get a health department permit until that is done.

I hate not having control. It always feels like nothing is in my hands (which I know is a overly dramatic dramatization).


No comments:

Post a Comment