Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Like finding a needle in a haystack...


We've been looking for a smoker since last October. Once we were in the space it became a requirement that it be 1. electric (so we don't have to put it under the hood, and it doesn't need a special gas hook up and fire suppression system) and 2. small (the kitchen is TINY) and 3. That it could cold smoke (so the heating element and the smoking element are on separate controls) and so the ONLY smoker we really could use was the Alto-shaam holding oven with smoker.

In all of this time only ONE came onto Craigslist, it was $1800 and was sold in hours. So yesterday another one came on Craigslist in great condition (only four years old) for $2100. I didn't have that amount of spare cash on hand so I asked some friends if they would be willing to help me out and they said yes!!! TOTALLY saving my bacon (pun intended!). So today Stein and I trekked into San Francisco and grabbed the smoker... It is the piece of equipment I've been looking for the longest, and it was almost the last thing I found. It is so beautiful!

We also dropped off the Charcuterie for Savour this morning. I am so proud of our salumi!

This week will be a lot of salumi production, both for a catered lunch on Friday and my favorite San Francisco client. Apparently everyone LOVES the blackberry berber catsup. We will try to put in some whole muscle salumi as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment