Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What a rush!

Day two of "whoa, this is really happening". I know that probably seems a little silly, but with the delays we have had, it's amazing to feel like we are making great progress. Today, we got our final funding too. Wow, just Wow.

So Stein and I decided we would head on down to the shop with our laptops to... well really just to be in the space  in an admiring way and to make out prep lists for opening. It was a very surreal experience. We sat in the chairs near the front with the sunshine streaming in, and passersby coming in to say hi and just generally overhearing the ebb and flow of the conversation outside.

I am surprised that there is so much wild speculation about why we have not opened yet! I mean, people were talking about it right outside the door where we could hear them! "Oh they are having so much money trouble! I hear they are way in debt" (we are not, we owe less than 10k and none of that is to a bank, it is to some generous friends who have helped me out along the way which I should be able to pay back within a few months of opening)... stuff like that. But most of the people who came by were super nice and very curious about us and our products. We even had someone stop in to buy one of our holiday dinners (yay! our first purchase at the shop!).

I also got my parking pass for the downtown today ($106 every four months). Stein and I had a heck of a time getting the wireless to work, so we signed up for our business phone and internet service. I also signed up for garbage service, albeit I am not sure where we are going to stick a garbage receptacle?

We've been making long lists of products we need so we can get started brining the pastrami for opening, plus the bacon and smoked/brined turkey breast. It is this crazy process where we are checking all of our food vendors per pound prices and trying to get everyone who's been delivering to the rental kitchen to deliver to our new location.

Tomorrow we need to find the last few pieces of the restaurant. We need two bar height tables (four if we can find them at a good price) plus 12 bar stools, a robot coupe, a toaster and a cash register. That is pretty much it for furniture. We need to try and fix a couple of the electrical odds and ends (they did not wire the cold display outlet for the right voltage), hang the picture Kelli sent, laminate some signage (open and closed sign, hours, etc). We need to get our wines and hit the meadery for some bottled cyzer. Thursday should be fun, we are hanging out at the restaurant while my friend Chris Walls works on the electrical system and  my friend Brian Shellnut finishes the mural. I am tentatively hopeful I will be set up enough for Stein and I to cook the guys dinner. The first meal in the shop. Wow.

I am nervous and worrying, but I am also so excited to have the onus on me to move forward and not be waiting on construction, or a governing body to make a determination. I sent David pictures today of the progress and he called me to tell me how cool it was and that I should be really proud of everything I've accomplished. Stein said the same thing today. The waiting has been such a hardship on everyone that while I do feel proud, I also mourn for their hardship as well. I just hope the forward motion is everything we hope it can be.

I am especially nervous because Martinez is a beautiful old world town and many locals are passionate about being just that... locals. I am worried about any perceived effect potential  success may have on other local restaurants. I wish there was a way to convince everyone if one of us succeeds, it is a success for everyone. The two largest employers in Martinez are walking distance from the downtown; 10,000 potential customers. If this demographic felt they had a wide range of high quality food choices, they would be more likely to wander downtown for lunch. I suppose I just need to get in there and let people try my stuff. I know how to cook, I am a passionate advocate for my craft and I love people. My shop has been built on love and hard work, with a foundation made stronger by a shower of faith and support from my friends and family. I know I can do this, with trusty Super Stein by my side and Wonderboy Galen, we can DO this!






No comments:

Post a Comment