Monday, December 27, 2010

And the universe bestows her gifts...

So, in my typical Taurus/bull fashion, I've been wracking my brains for how to get movement on The Project. I am worried I won't be able get funding in time... that the space will be rented, that Stein will need to find a job. And so...

Without going into too much detail (he is a super private person) I pitched my ex husband and asked him if I could borrow the money to get started. He still owes me some from our settlement and so he basically said I would likely be able to get the money in Feburary to get started. AND wouldn't have to pay him back...

This is a huge relief but I also have this weird feeling that the normal hoops you have to go thru to get regular business funding etc are kind of checks and balances on having a good workable plan and the more eyes that see what you are doing and give input, the better.

He made some great suggestions... because the first tear of being is business is the hardest (most businesses fail because they are underfunded the first year) he suggested I ask for a deffered lease. So I offer to pay $1200.00 a month, but not to start paying until next year. So if you have a three year lease, you would pay nothing the first year and then 1.5 the amount of the next two years.

So if I can get some kind of agreement like this, plus not have to pay myself the first year... I would be in a really good position to have super low overhead starting out.

I also talked to Mike Whipple, an old friend of Brion's who is a wine consultant about getting some premuim local small producer wines...

He is totally ammenable to helping us scout out the kinds of wines I want. I plan to do the little plastic menu holders like this with the wine and beer list to put on the counters and the tables. Mike said the typical purchase of initial wine a restaurant will buy is about $400. I want to bring some of the salumi and do at least a little bit of pairing. Anything I get will have to go with salted and heavily spiced meats.
I am profoundly grateful to know so many creative and talented people who are willing to help me. It is amazing how much easier things seem to flow when you feel comfortable marketing youself and your product and you know so many knowledgable fantastic peopele.

No comments:

Post a Comment