Sunday, November 28, 2010

Next week is show time...

HACCP's and Business Plan (all three copies) are pretty much done (I think I still need a pickling HACCP flow chart). I just need Stein's resume and I can start pounding the pavement next week for funding. I don't know why this is so terrifying? My credit isn't great, and I can imagine lenders are pretty gun shy at this point in history, so who knows how that is going to go? I suppose THAT is a pretty good reason to feel terrified.

I've done all this work and if I get turned down... I suppose it is all still there for later when times are not so tight. And what if I GET funding? That is way scarier! It means I will be doing the biggest scariest career move of my life.

I keep rolling over the details in my head. I will have to roll out production of charcuterie so I can have a good selection ready to go when we open, but it will all have to be made in the restaurant, since my home kitchen is not a commercial kitchen. I won't have 6 months of curing time to get things ready... if I am lucky I will get 4-6 weeks.

So what kind of salumi can be done in that amount of time to accomodate my needs (muffuleta sandwich, salumi platter, pastrami, etc)

Less than one week lead time:
Smoked Turkey
Smoked Duck
Smoked Chicken
Mortadella
Bacon
Corned Beef
Hot smoked chorizo
Bratwurst
Weisswurst
Cured Fish
Smoked Fish

Less than 2 weeks lead time:
Pastrami
Pancetta

4-6 weeks lead time:
Small circumference dry cured sausage

3 months:
Beef middle size salumi
capicola
braesola

6 months
Finocchiona
bung stuffed salumi

So technically I could have a plouoghman's platter of bacon, smoked fish, wiesswurst, pastrami and Spanish style chorizo with pickles... only I am not sure what to do about house made pickles in Jan/Feb... I can do beets, onions and fennel house made and buy decent gherkins already done.

I could also do confit...

I called the fire inspector last week, but have not heard back (not surprised with the holidays upon us)... I am kind of excited ab out the prospect of being able to deep fry... I will add fries, deep fried gnocchi and aranchini to the lunch menu andbeignet to the breakfast menu if I can deep fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment